This fall salad, perfect for a light lunch or holiday side, features crisp, juicy apples, dried cranberries, pecans, broccoli and shaved parmesan. Tossed with a maple vinaigrette, it’s a perfect lunch or holiday side.
In Montreal we have a small local chain called Mandy’s that just makes salads. Huge bowls of the most crave-able salads ever. Most of them are vegetarian, although you can get meat as an add-on. But you REALLY don’t need to. The sheer volume of salad makes it totally satisfying even without meat. and if you’re thinking that you’d quickly get bored chowing down on an enormous pile of greens, you would be wrong. Every bite pretty much knocks you out with the different taste and textures. If you’re ever in town, it’s worth the detour.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Now this is not a Mandy’s recipe, but I did have their salads in mind when I tossed this one together. It’s a familiar fall flavor profile with crisp, juicy apple slices, chewy dried cranberries, and crunchy toasted pecans. I added some raw broccoli and shaved Parmesan for extra fun and flavor.
For the greens, you can really use whatever you like, from romaine to iceberg to spring mix. I opted for the baby kale mix I discovered when I made this amazing roasted sweet potato salad a few weeks back. In general, I like to use more delicate greens, like spring mix, when I plan to serve a salad as a side, and heartier greens like romaine and baby spinach, kale, and chard when I’m serving it as a main course.
The maple vinaigrette and I go way back. I’ve always loved a sweet and tangy salad dressing and this has been one of my faves for years.
Sound good to you? If you make this fall salad, I would be thrilled if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later!
A Few More Favorite Salads From the Blog
Fall Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- 5 oz mixed greens such as a mix of baby spinach, kale, and chard
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets thinly sliced
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler or knife
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablepoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the salad ingredients.
- Inn a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, mayonnaise, and white wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly, until smooth and emulsified.
- Toss the desired amount of dressing with the salad ingredients until well coated.