This easy and versatile sausage and vegetable pasta skillet makes a quick, crowd-pleasing weeknight meal, ready in under 30 minutes. Mix it up with whatever meat and veggies you have in your fridge or freezer.
Quick disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don't personally use and love!
This easy sausage and vegetable pasta skillet (like this amazing 20 minute pasta carbonara) has been in my repertoire of quick weeknight meals for years.
Like most of my weeknight favorites, it's really versatile and I usually have some variation of the ingredients on hand. This means it's perfect for those nights when you don't have a plan and need to come up with something satisfying on the fly.
You could make it with any kind of pasta, meat and/or veggies you have. You basically just cook your pasta, sauté some meat and veggies, and add them back to the pasta.
Then stir in a bit of heavy cream with some whole grain or creole mustard for the easiest sauce ever. It's not like a heavy Alfredo sauce, but just kind of lightly coats the pasta. The mustard gives it great flavor without tasting mustardy at all.
Any sausage will work, but if you want some kick, use a spicy one. The original recipe calls for andouille sausage, which I love, but can't find up here :(. I usually use kielbasa.
You can also use chicken, or skip the meat altogether!
Peppers and onions are great in this, but feel free to add/substitute whatever you have! Frozen veggies work perfectly too.
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
And if you're looking for more easy dinner inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Or be old-fashioned and subscribe in the sidebar on the right to get every new recipe in your inbox 🙂
Products I used to make this sausage and vegetable pasta skillet
[amazon_link asins='B004T6J5XY,B00555ETXY|B004T6J5XY,B00555ETXY' template='ProductCarouselWithoutHeader' store='ourhappymes00-20|ourhappymes0c-20' marketplace='US|CA' link_id='5a3d67f9-4e3f-11e8-83fd-49a9c5a0b48a']
Easy Sausage and Vegetable Pasta Skillet
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 8 ounces pork sausage such as andouille or kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole grain or creole mustard
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or more to taste
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring in a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions, until al dente. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large saute or frying pan, over medium heat, heat one tablespoon olive oil. Add the sausage and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned. Transfer the sausage to the pot of cooked and drained pasta.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the peppers and onions, with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender and lightly colored.
- Add the pasta and sausage back to the skillet with the vegetables. Add the cream and mustard to the pan and stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. For extra spice, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.