This easy chicken taco recipe, made with shredded cumin lime chicken and a creamy cilantro lime slaw is perfect for taco Tuesdays! Prep the chicken the day before for a super-quick, stress-free weeknight meal.
Happy Tuesday! Taco Tuesday is definitely a concept I can get behind. In fact, Phil and I don't always agree on food in general, but we DO agree on Mexican food. It's just the best.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
For this easy chicken taco recipe, you'll first marinate some chicken thighs or breasts in an easy marinade that includes lime juice and cumin, and then bake (or grill!) them.
Then shred that chicken and serve with corn or flour tortillas, a creamy cilantro lime slaw, some crumbly cheese, avocado slices, and your favorite hot sauce.
I love spicy food, and so does Phil, but I've kept the chicken mild here, in the interest of staying kid-friendly. You can adjust the heat level to your liking by adding more or less hot sauce.
This is how we usually handle the spiciness issue around here. That said, if you're not making these for kids, feel free to kick the cayenne up a notch and even add some chile powder into the marinade!
Sound good to you? If you make these chicken tacos, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
And if you're looking for more easy dinner inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Or subscribe in the sidebar --> to get every new recipe in your inbox 🙂
Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Cumin Lime Chicken
- 1 lb (455 grams) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts* If using breasts, cut them in half so they are about the same size as thighs
- ⅓ cup (79 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice from about 2 ½ limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw
- 4 cups shredded green or red cabbage (from half a head of cabbage, or from a bag)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice from about 1 ½ limes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas, warmed*
- queso fresco, feta, or other crumbly cheese
- hot sauce
- avocado slices
Cumin Lime Chicken
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, and seasonings.
- Add the chicken thighs or breasts to the bag, seal, and squish around until the chicken is well-coated. Put in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with remaining olive oil. Add the chicken in a single layer, reserving the marinade, and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until fully cooked, basting with the reserved marinade halfway through.
- Remove the chicken to a plate, saving the juices, and allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes. Shred with your hands, or two forks, and toss shredded chicken with the reserved juices.
Creamy Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Whisk together (or whizz with an immersion blender) the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper. Toss with the shredded cabbage.
Made these this evening and they are divine. Started late afternoon with still-frozen chicken breasts, were delayed by a long phone call from a friend, and we still ate at a reasonable time. The only changes I made to the recipe were to boil the reserved marinade after using a bit for the half-time basting (maybe the acid in the lime is enough, but I just didn't trust the sauce that the raw chicken had soaked in) and then, because we like it a bit sweet in our family, I added some honey to the hot marinade before tossing it with the shredded chicken. Other than that, applied the recipe as given. Was absolutely amazed by the complexity of flavour in a dish that came together so quickly and easily. Delicious! My husband is hard to please, but even he had to say so. This is definitely a recipe we will make many times.
I love those adaptations! So glad to hear you enjoyed it 🙂
Ali from Home & Plate
Perfect for a weeknight meal any day of the year. I love how easy these are to make and love the cabbage and the cilantro to a true authentic Mexican taste. Delicious for everyone in the house. Yum.
Thank you Ali! 🙂
This looks so easy and delicious! We have a Tex mix night once a week and I am always looking for something that my whole family will enjoy! This is definitely on my to make list:)
Thank you so much Soniya!:)
Love tacos! They are so easy to make and perfect for meal planning! The cilantro lime slaw sounds delicious!
Yes, whenever I can get it together enough to meal plan, I always include tacos somewhere in there!
I love how easily this recipe comes together. Such a wonderful combination of flavors and that cilantro lime slaw sounds perfect!
Claire | Srpinkles and Sprouts
Oh cumin and lime chicken!!! YES, how delicious does that sound.
Tacos are one of my favourite foods and these look so good!