Last Updated: May 16, 2022
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Information you provide
We collect personal information when you voluntarily submit your name, email address and any other information to us on this Website. This includes, but is not limited to, signing up for email updates, leaving a comment on a post or page, or contacting us via email or contact form.
Information from Third Parties
In some cases, we may also receive information about you from a third party. For instance, if you use a third party service provider through the site, they may transfer information to us for the purpose of order fulfillment.
Information that is collected automatically
- Keep track of advertisements.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser's Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you turn cookies off, some of the features that make your site experience more efficient may not function properly.
This service is used for delivery of email updates and newsletters. We store your name and email address for purposes of delivering such communications.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the Website.
- To send you promotional information, such as newsletters. Each e-mail promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings.
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies, or security alerts.
- To respond to your comments or inquiries.
- To track and measure advertising on the Website.
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity.
- We also may use your information to manage our business or perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
From time to time, we may use anonymous data, which does not identify you alone or when combined with data from other parties. This type of anonymous data may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising or other uses. Examples of this anonymous data may include analytics or information collected from cookies.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising (Ver 1.1)
The Website works with Mediavine to manage third-party interest-based advertising appearing on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The "help" feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at All About Cookies.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site. In the event you opt-out, you will still see non-personalized advertisements on the Website.
The Website collects the following data using a cookie when serving personalized ads:
- IP Address
- Operating System type
- Operating System version
- Device Type
- Language of the website
- Web browser type
- Email (in hashed form)
Mediavine Partners (companies listed below with whom Mediavine shares data) may also use this data to link to other end user information the partner has independently collected to deliver targeted advertisements. Mediavine Partners may also separately collect data about end users from other sources, such as advertising IDs or pixels, and link that data to data collected from Mediavine publishers in order to provide interest-based advertising across your online experience, including devices, browsers and apps. This data includes usage data, cookie information, device information, information about interactions between users and advertisements and websites, geolocation data, traffic data, and information about a visitor’s referral source to a particular website. Mediavine Partners may also create unique IDs to create audience segments, which are used to provide targeted advertising.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit National Advertising Initiative opt out page. You may also visit Digital Advertising Alliance website and Network Advertising Initiative website to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices app to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
For specific information about Mediavine Partners, the data each collects and their data collection and privacy policies, please visit Mediavine Partners.
DISCLOSURES AND DISCLAIMERS
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION DISCLAIMER
We at Our Happy Mess do not claim to be nutritional experts. We do use a plugin (WP Recipe Maker) to automatically generate nutritional information for our recipes, however we cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information. Nutritional values may differ significantly from those presented based on the product brands used, measurements, and any modifications or substitutions made
If you adhere to a particular diet, or have a medical condition, please do your own nutritional calculations, and do not rely on the information provided on this site.
From time to time, this Website may be compensated by brands or companies to feature their products in blog posts. The relationship will always be disclosed up-front within the blog post. All sponsored content is disclosed in accordance with the FTC’s requirements. These sponsored posts may utilize tracking pixels (aka web beacons) which may contain cookies to collect data regarding usage and audience. The information is collected by the sponsoring company or brand to track the results of the sponsored post. No personally identifiable information collected by this website is used in conjunction with these tracking pixels.
All the brands we work with have been carefully selected by us at Our Happy Mess, and we will never represent a brand that we do not love, trust, and use ourselves.
Comments on Our Happy Mess are vital to the community and we want to hear what you think! If you loved (or didn’t love) a recipe, if you have helpful suggestions, something constructive to say, or if you just want to say “hi!”, we want to hear from you.
However, we reserve the right to delete, or not to publish, any comments that are deemed gratuitously mean, inappropriate, or that do not contribute to the conversation in a kind and positive manner.
Any comments posted on this Website become the property of this Website and may be used in e-mail or other promotional campaigns.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
From time to time, this Website may host giveaways. These events may be self-sponsored by Our Happy Mess or may be sponsored by another individual or business. This may or may not be plainly stated in the actual giveaway.
Unless otherwise stated, all giveaways will follow these guidelines:
- Winners will be chosen randomly.
- Open only to residents of Canada and U.S., unless otherwise stated.
- If a giveaway is sponsored by an outside company, this Website cannot be held liable or responsible, should a vendor choose, for some reason, not to fulfill a promised prize.
- Once winner is randomly chosen, they will be contacted via the e-mail address they provided upon entering the contest. In order to send the prize to the winner, we may require a mailing address. Winner recognizes that their information (name, e-mail address and/or mailing address) may need to be passed onto the prize delivering party for fulfillment of the giveaway should the prize be sponsored by an outside entity.
- We may, at our discretion, make public the first name and province or state of our giveaway winner(s). All other contact information will remain private.
- Each winner will have 48 hours to claim the prize, after being notified via the e-mail they used to enter the contest. After 48 hours, if there is no response (or winner does not meet entry requirements (as specified when they entered), another winner will be randomly chosen.
- All giveaway entrants agree to be honest and not cheat the systems; any suspect of fraud is decided upon by this Website and/or the sponsor, and entrants may be disqualified at our discretion.
- Any prizes that may result in tax liability for the winner(s) are the winner(s) responsibility.
- We are not responsible for lost or damaged items. Replacement items will not be provided.
- Giveaways may be promoted on Facebook, Twitter, e-mail or other social network sites. This is a means of promotion only, and any promotion on those sites is not to be interpreted as Facebook or Twitter partaking in, or being in any way responsible for that particular contest.
- We reserve the right to end, extend, or change a giveaway for any reason and without prior notice.
- Odds of winning in one of our giveaways depend on the number of entrants.
No part of this Website may be copied, reproduced, or translated in any way without the prior written consent of Our Happy Mess.
Permission may be granted to redistribute the material in its entirety provided that this copyright notice is not removed or altered. No portion of this work may be sold, either by itself or as part of a larger work, without the express written permission of Our Happy Mess.
To obtain permission to reproduce the information (text or graphics) contained on this Web Site for any commercial purpose, submit the specifics of your request in writing to:
For any reuse or distribution of our work, you must credit our Website with a link back to the post in question.
It is fine to use our photos in roundups, providing you are linking back to our post.
The Website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions. Purchasing through an affiliate link does not affect the price that you pay.
Our Happy Mess is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Website will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.