This simple 15-minute pasta with fresh tomato cream sauce is full of traditional Italian flavors, in a light and fresh dish that is perfect for summertime. Fresh tomatoes are quickly sautéed and simmered with cream and Parmesan, then tossed with linguine and sprinkled with fresh basil.
If you're looking to expand your repertoire of easy weeknight meals that require no advance prep, consider adding "pasta night" to your weekly menu.
Variations are endless, and you can have a restaurant-quality meal on the table in mere minutes. Like, FIFTEEN minutes! (This is kind of the reason I usually avoid ordering pasta in restaurants. I can't justify ordering something I could whip up myself with minimal effort).
Quick disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don't personally use and love!
The inspiration for this recipe is a simple rosé sauce I sometimes make by mixing a bit of cream into regular tomato sauce. Tasty for sure, but a bit heavy, and definitely not something I feel like eating in the summertime, when I try to keep the menu light and fresh.
So I was looking for a way to take that heavenly combo of tomatoes and cream and lighten it up. It was a wonderful surprise how easy this fresh tomato cream sauce turned out to be!
This ridiculously simple pasta dish is just fresh tomatoes sautéed a bit and mixed with cream. Add basil and Parmesan and and it's positively bursting with the Italian flavors we know and love.
Note that this is not a thick, heavy alfredo-style sauce. The cream is just simmered long enough to thicken a bit and lightly coat the pasta. The fresh tomatoes add little bursts of juicy acidity.
I plan to make this often and can't wait to try it with ripe and juicy summer tomatoes!
In the same spirit of easy weeknight pasta recipes, here are a couple of other favorites:
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would love it if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later!
Pasta with Fresh Tomato Cream Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 large plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 pound dry linguine or other pasta shape
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and garlic to the pan and sauté for around 3 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the cream. Simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shredded parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked pasta and toss it with the sauce until well coated. Sprinkle with chopped basil and additional parmesan if desired, and serve.