Cheesy breakfast potatoes are seasoned and tossed with bell peppers, onions, and garlic, then roasted to blistery perfection, and covered in melted cheese.
Quick disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don’t personally use and love!
When I was 19, I had a brief stint as a hostess at a breakfast place in Houston. I’m not sure what I was thinking. I already had another waitressing gig where I mostly worked nights, and I had to be at the breakfast place at 6 am every morning.
I don’t remember exactly how long I lasted in that job, but if it was more than a week, it was all owing to one perk: an endless supply of the best cheesy breakfast potatoes ever.
Breakfast potatoes are not rocket science or anything, and there are infinite ways to make them. But there’s only one way I ever want to eat them now, and that’s roasted with lots of peppers, onions, seasonings, and CHEESE. Is this a Texas thing? I don’t know, but I haven’t seen them made like this up here.
I like to use baby potatoes for these roasted cheesy breakfast potatoes because it maximizes the amount of blistered skin (yum!), but you can definitely use large potatoes and just cut into one-inch pieces. Toss those potatoes together on a baking sheet with some diced onions, bell peppers, garlic and seasoning. Roast until browned and perfectly crispy. Top with cheese and broil until melty and delicious.
I like to add some cayenne pepper for a hint of heat, but you could add some jalapeño for even more. Oh and if you’re looking for something to serve them with, how about an easy frittata? To be honest, I can and have made a meal out of these alone though ;).
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would be THRILLED if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later!
Products I used to make these cheesy breakfast potatoes
Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
- 3 lbs new potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon seasoning or herbs of choice such as cajun seasoning, chili powder, oregano, thyme etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheese such as cheddar or monterey jack
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl (or on the baking sheet itself), toss all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Transfer to a large (half sheet) baking sheet and shake the pan to spread into a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, shaking the pan every 15 minutes or so, until potatoes are browned and crispy. Taste and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Turn the broiler on. Sprinkle the potatoes evenly with shredded cheese, and broil for 3-5 minutes until melted and browned. Serve immediately.