These loaded baked potato bites are a super easy party appetizer that people of all ages will love. Twenty minutes in the oven and they’re ready to be topped with a classic combination of cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions. Or anything else that inspires you!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don’t personally use and love!
It’s so easy to go overboard when you’re preparing to entertain. Problem is, if you’ve been in the kitchen since the crack of dawn, rolling out homemade pasta for too many people, you might not have much energy left to enjoy the party (been there!).
So we need more party food like these loaded baked potato bites in our lives, don’t you think? Crowd-pleasing, cute, really simple, and they can be served warm or at room temp. Slice some potatoes and bake them in the morning, and top them whenever you’re ready!
These are on the menu for our Christmas soirée next weekend. Along with these fantastic cheese straws. Oh and these amazing dark chocolate truffles. And some cocktails, obviously. And a bunch of other stuff ’cause dang it I can’t help myself. Sigh.
Don’t be like me. Just make a whole bunch of these. Top them with whatever you like. These adorable little potato slices are a total blank canvas. Anything you might think about putting on a cracker, for instance, is fair game! Avocado and salsa? Caramelized onions and gruyère? Olive tapenade? Caviar?? (never had it. looks gross.). You get the idea! Boundless possibilities.
I found these yellow potatoes at my grocery store that were just the perfect size. Exactly between the tiny ones and the regular ones, which makes the perfect bite-size slice. I used a mandoline to slice them to exactly 1/4 inch, but you can definitely eyeball this with a knife. I used Yukon Golds, but feel free to use your favorites. Russets are classic but usually pretty large.
It’s December first! Hope you have lots of festive and fun stuff on the agenda this month 🙂
Loaded Baked Potato Bites
- 2 lbs Small-medium size Yukon Gold potatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 green onions or chives, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices, using a mandoline or knife, and spread the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Brush lightly with additional olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake potato slices for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and tender.
- Turn the broiler on. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly on the potato slices and broil for a minute or two, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let potatoes cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet and remove to a serving platter with a spatula. They may stick a little, but should come off pretty easily.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream, a little bacon and a sprinkle of green onions.