This healthy vegetarian black bean soup is full of veggies and protein, and with its Southwestern flavors it’s the perfect remedy for the winter blahs! Make it vegan or vegetarian if you like, by using vegetable instead of chicken broth.
After weeks of the whole family being under the weather, I thought it would be a good idea to put some healthy, healing soups on the menu.
This vegetarian black bean soup was one of them. It’s flavorful, easy to make in under an hour, and leftovers freeze really well.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
What goes well with black bean soup?
With this kind of hearty, mildly spicy soup, I find toppings to be essential. We love traditional tortilla soup garnishes on ours. Sour cream, avocado, cilantro, a little cheese, and a slice of lime. With a few tortilla chips on the side (or even without), it’s a full delicious meal.
Here’s how I make this vegetarian black bean soup
- Start by chopping some vegetables. I like a lot of veggies in this soup, for color and flavor. Cook for about 10 minutes in a large pot or dutch oven, until they’re softened and starting to color a little.
- Stir in some minced garlic, cumin and (optionally) half a minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce. The chipotle chili gives it a little heat and some serious flavor, but you can also use half a fresh jalapeno or some crushed red pepper.
3. Add the black beans, corn, and chicken or vegetable broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Purée the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. You can make it perfectly smooth if you like, but I prefer to keep it a little chunky. You can even reserve some black beans and corn to stir in at the end for extra texture.
5. Last but not least, stir in a tablespoon or so of lime juice. This brightens up the flavor a lot and is, in my opinion, essential! Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with toppings of your choice! Avocado, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla chips are our favorites.
Sound good to you? If you make this easy vegetarian black bean soup, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
Here are a few more favorite easy soups to beat the cold and keep you healthy!
Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 celery rib chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 chipotle chile canned in adobo sauce minced (or more to taste)*
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnishes: sour cream, avocado, grated cheese, chopped red onion, cilantro, tortilla chips
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender and starting to color.
- Stir in the minced garlic, cumin, and 1/2 chipotle chile, and cook for one more minute.
- Add the black beans, corn, and chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the desired consistency, smooth or a little chunky. Alternatively, use a regular blender and blend in batches.
- Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.