This vibrant, healthy, naturally vegan Indian-spiced carrot ginger soup is packed with flavor, and you can whip it up in well under an hour!
Chicken noodle soup is great and all, but this curried carrot ginger soup is my new go-to for when someone in the family is under the weather. And mid-winter with a family of four and a kid in daycare, that's the case more often than not.
Besides the creamy comfort, the reason I think this soup is perfect for when you're sick is the healthy dose of ginger. There's a lot to love about ginger, and a lot of reasons to eat more of it. Check out this article for more info on the health benefits of ginger.
The warm Indian spices pair perfectly with the sweet carrots and ginger, and coconut milk makes it hearty and super creamy. With a dollop of plain yogurt, it is pure comfort.
PLUS, with just a few ingredients and a few spices, you can whip it up in about 45 minutes. Feel free to adjust the spices as desired.
Here's how I make it!
How to Make Curried Carrot Ginger Soup
- Start by chopping some carrots, onions and ginger.
2. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the coriander, ground mustard, and curry powder, and cook stirring frequently for about a minute.
3. Add the ginger and cook for another minute.
4. Add the chopped onions, carrots and lime zest and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
5. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. (If you're in the market for an immersion blender, I have the Braun MultiQuick 7 and I love it!).
7. Stir in lime juice to taste, and a 1/2 cup of coconut milk.
Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of curry powder, if desired.
Soup is a weekly staple at our house when the weather gets cold. For more creamy comforting inspiration, check out these other favorites:
Curried Carrot Ginger Soup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots, thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lime
- 4 cups Vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or more to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ginger and stir for another minute.
- Add the onion, carrots and lime zest. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt to taste, and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the carrots are very soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly. Puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender, until the soup is smooth and silky. If the soup is too thick, add broth and stir until the right consistency is reached.
- Stir in the lime juice and coconut milk.