This vibrant, healthy Indian spiced carrot ginger soup is perfect for spring, and you can whip it up in about 45 minutes!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don’t personally use and love!
Last week my husband Phil came down with a bout of pneumonia. As a result, not much cooking happened around here, but one night I made this Indian spiced carrot ginger soup and, for a sick guy, he slurped it down pretty enthusiastically. The warm spices pair perfectly with the sweet carrots and ginger, and with a dollop of plain yogurt, it is pure comfort.
This vibrant, healthy soup is perfect for spring, (slow as it may be in coming, at least in my neck of the woods)! With a short ingredient list, you can whip it up in about 45 minutes. Feel free to adjust the spices as desired.
Soup is a weekly staple at our house when the weather gets cold. For more creamy comforting inspiration, check out these other favorites: Red Pepper Carrot Soup with Couscous and leek and potato soup,
Indian Spiced Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
- 4 cups Vegetable or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- plain yogurt
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the ginger and stir for another minute.
- Add the onion, carrots and lime peel, sprinkle with salt to taste, and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the carrots are very soft.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly. Puree the soup in batches in a blender, or use an immersion blender, until the soup is smooth and silky. If the soup is too thick, add broth and stir until the right consistency is reached.
- Stir in the lime juice and ladle into bowls. Spoon a dollop of yogourt onto each serving.
Adapted from The Epicurious Cookbook