This baked french toast recipe with Nutella is a SUPER easy, delicious, and kid-friendly brunch casserole. It’s a 5-ingredient make ahead dish that everyone, young and old, will love.
Nutella maaaaaay not be the wholesome health food that the commercials used to tout it as… “Part of a complete breakfast” might be a slight exaggeration.
Still, Nutella has it’s place, and I believe that place is stuffed in a rich, custardy fluffy French toast casserole. Yep, I still love it, and I bet you do too, or you wouldn’t be here!
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
The idea for this baked French Toast casserole came to me in a flash of inspiration as I was trying to come up with a brunch dish to please a 6-year-old girl (with whom I don’t have the most awesome track record when it comes to food). I’m happy to report it was a success.
And it truly does not get much easier than this casserole. You basically spread some Nutella on ordinary white bread slices. Then you roll them up and dip them in a simple custard and place them, enchilada-style, in a baking dish.
Pour the rest of the custard over top, refrigerate so the custard soaks in, and bake. The baking can happen the next morning if you wish, making this the perfect make ahead brunch dish.
Here’s the step-by-step.
How to Make a Nutella Baked French Toast Casserole
1. Make the custard. In a medium bowl, whisk together four eggs, 1 1/4 cups of milk, and a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
2. Spread about two tablespoons of Nutella on 8 slices of bread.
3. Roll the bread slices into cylinder shapes.
4. Butter a 7 x 11 inch (2 quart) baking dish. Dip the Nutella rolls in the custard and arrange in rows in the baking dish.
*Note: 7 x 11 is the perfect size and shape for this recipe, but if you don’t have one, don’t worry. As long as the size is roughly 2 quarts (like 9″ x 9″, for instance) you can always cut the rolls to fit the shape. (If you want to use a larger pan, just increase the ingredients accordingly. For a 9 x 13 inch pan for instance, you need 1.5x the quantities. The recipe card below has a handy calculator. Just increase the servings from 4 to 6 and the math is done for you!)
5. Pour the remaining custard over the Nutella rolls.
6. Refrigerate the casserole until the custard is absorbed by the bread, a couple of hours, or overnight.
7. Bake in a 375 degree F oven until golden, 30-35 minutes.
8. To make it pretty, I sprinkled some powdered sugar over the top. Then I melted some more Nutella and drizzled it over the top.
I served it with strawberries on the side because Nutella and strawberries are a delicious combination, but other berries or fruits would work too.
I also served it with maple syrup because in my opinion, French toast is just not the same without maple syrup!
Sound good to you? If you make this Nutella Baked French Toast Casserole, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
Nutella Baked French Toast Casserole
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Nutella
- butter for greasing the baking dish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla until well combined. Set aside.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of Nutella on each of 8 slices of bread. Roll each bread slice into a cigar shape with the Nutella filling on the inside.
- Dip each bread roll into the egg mixture and place it in the baking dish, seam side down. Continue with the remaining bread rolls, placing them side-by-side in the baking dish, enchilada-style. Pour the remaining custard over the top of the bread.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, until the custard has been absorbed by the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. (see note below regarding pan sizes).
- Transfer to the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden brown.
- Dust some powdered sugar over the top with a sifter, and drizzle with a little melted Nutella if you wish. Serve with sliced strawberries and maple syrup, if desired.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: Check on Amazon