This post contains links to affiliate websites, such as Amazon, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you using these links. We appreciate your support!
These simple breakfast parfaits are naturally sweetened, packed with nutritious ingredients, and perfect for make ahead breakfasts.
Do you ever wake up feeling like having dessert for breakfast? Even if I don’t, I have plenty of those days when my kids want something sweet for breakfast. But breakfast is that one meal where I struggle with new ideas, and more often than not, I feel like I’m stuck in a breakfast rut.
Some weeks when I have my life more or less together and meal planning is a thing that happens, I prep these Chocolate Baked Oats, or these Blueberry Overnight Oats for a sweet but still healthy breakfast option for the week. Or on special occasions, I might prep this Nutella French Toast Casserole the night before… for the kids 😉
So maybe I’m not the mom that’s whipping up Orange Pancakes every Saturday morning. But honestly I still feel like a superhero when I’m able to pull off these breakfast parfaits.
Parfaits might sound all French and fancy but it’s just layers of yogurt, fresh fruit, and crunchy granola. It’s such a simple recipe, and the perfect way to break out of that breakfast rut!
Why You Should be Making these Breakfast Parfaits
It’s healthy and balanced. You get protein from the creamy Greek yogurt, vitamins from the fresh fruit, and fiber from the crunchy granola. It’s the perfect way to kickstart your day.
It’s super easy and quick. There is no fuss or mess. I like to use my homemade granola for these breakfast parfaits, but you can also use a store bought granola.
It’s customizable. Use different fruits, add your favorite yogurt flavor, and new granolas each time for a new flavor. It’s a great way to keep healthy eating exciting.
It’s perfect for meal planning. Prep them in advance for those busy mornings. They’re a lifesaver when you’re rushing but still want a delicious breakfast. Just sprinkle the granola on right before you eat, to keep it crunchy.
It feels like a treat. They’re called breakfast parfaits but they’re not just breakfast food. It’s a great healthy dessert, afternoon snack, and a go-to recipe for a post dinner sweet treat!
I opt for plain low fat Greek yogurt, and then sweeten and flavor it myself. But any type of yogurt works – it’s up to you. You can use vanilla yogurt or any flavored yogurt in these breakfast parfaits.
Since we are using plain yogurt in these breakfast parfaits, I like to sweeten it with maple syrup. This way I get to control how sweet it is, and I can keep it refined sugar-free.
You can also use honey in place of the maple syrup to sweeten the plain yogurt.
Skip the sweetener if you like it extra tangy.
To make vanilla yogurt, you just need to add some vanilla bean paste or extract, along with a sweetener to your plain yogurt. Of course, store bought vanilla Greek yogurt works great too.
I like having some homemade granola in my pantry for healthy breakfasts, and I love this honey almond granola especially, for my breakfast parfaits. This homemade peanut butter banana granola is also great, and for a festive holiday twist, try this gingerbread granola.
Homemade granola is super easy to make, tastes great, and is better for you. That said, any granola, whether homemade or store bought works great.
You can add any fresh berries, like fresh raspberries or mixed berries, or any other fresh fruit like kiwi or peaches in these breakfast parfaits. I like to add a mix of different fresh berries. You can also use tropical fruits like a combination of pineapple and mangoes!
Feel free to use frozen fruit, thawed or not.
Don’t forget to watch the video!
Most of my recipes include a short step-by-step video tutorial. Just scroll down to the recipe card, or use the “Jump to Video” button at the top of the post!
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine the low-fat plain Greek yogurt with maple syrup and vanilla bean paste (or extract) in a medium sized bowl.
- In 4 separate 8 oz mason jars, or other serving containers, add 1/4 cup of yogurt layer, followed by 1/4 cup of fresh fruit. Add the layers of yogurt and fruit once more.
- Sprinkle granola on the top before serving. You can also add maple syrup or a drizzle of honey over the top for extra sweetness.
With this simple recipe, you won’t be missing the most important meal of the day anymore!
These breakfast parfaits are great as they are – but here are some fun things you can add in there!
- You can add even more nutrition in these breakfast parfaits with some almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, or pumpkin seeds.
- Swirl in or drizzle on, peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter for a creamy and protein-rich addition.
- Add a layer of your favorite cereal or oats for extra fiber.
- You can experiment with different fruit sauces to add in these breakfast parfaits. Add the sauce between the layers of Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.
- The possibilities of toppings in these are endless! Turn them into chocolate parfaits by adding chocolate chips between the layers and topping with some graham crackers.
- You can also turn it into a protein-rich breakfast by mixing your favorite protein powder into the Greek yogurt.
These are great for meal planning because they’re quick to whip up for breakfast for a couple of days, if you have all the ingredients on hand.
Layer your yogurt and fruit in 8 oz mason jars or other containers with airtight lids, and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
The key is to add the granola on top right before serving so it doesn’t get soggy.
These breakfast parfaits can be gluten-free as long as you are using a gluten-free granola.
You can make these yogurt parfaits dairy-free and vegan by using a coconut, almond, or soy milk based yogurt. If you’re vegan, be sure your granola is vegan as well.
Yes! They have protein from the Greek yogurt, fiber from the granola, and antioxidants and vitamins from the fresh fruit. It is a complete breakfast.
Tell me what you think!
If you try this recipe, l’d be so grateful if you’d leave a comment and a rating in the recipe card. I love to hear your feedback, and your tips can help other readers too!
- 2 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey almond granola homemade or store bought
- 2 cups chopped fresh fruits* such as strawberry, peach, kiwi, etc. or a mix of berries
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla bean paste or extract until smooth and well-combined.
- In 4 8-ounce glasses, jars, or other containers, layer yogurt and fruit, starting with 1/4 cup of yogurt at the bottom followed by a 1/4 cup of fruit. Repeat the layers once more.
- Sprinkle the tops with with granola right before serving. Drizzle a little maple syrup over the top for an extra bit of sweetness if you like.