This rustic zucchini and tomato tart is filled with creamy whipped feta, sweet cherry tomatoes and zucchini, and lots of herbs. It’s a perfect summer appetizer, lunch or light dinner!
Have you ever had/made whipped feta? It’s a creamy blend of salty feta and cream cheese with a little olive oil and some seasonings and it is delicious as a dip, or spread on some crostini. I’ve been on a bit of a Mediterranean kick lately (see last week’s Mediterranean Buddha bowls), and I’ve been brainstorming more ways to bring whipped feta into our lives.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Enter this incredible zucchini tomato tart. Normally whipped feta is served cold, but I saw no reason it wouldn’t be just as good warm, in a rustic tart filled with fresh seasonal vegetables. As occasionally happens, I was right!
Filling the tart first with whipped feta also has the added bonus of keeping the juicy tomatoes from soaking the crust as they bake (a common tomato tart complication).
There’s nothing fussy about this tart either. In fact if we want to get all technical, this is really a galette. No special pan is needed, just roll out my super simple 4-ingredient all-butter pie dough, put your stuff on top, and fold up the sides to keep your fillings contained while it bakes. Galettes can be sweet or savory, and make for a casual and pretty presentation.
We had this tomato zucchini tart as a light dinner with a green salad, but it would make a terrific appetizer or lunch dish too! You could even divide the dough in 4 and make individual tarts.
Here’s how I made this zucchini and tomato tart (galette)
Make the pie dough
1.Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut in pieces of cold butter with a pastry blender or your fingers. Sprinkle in ice water and quickly work the mixture into a ball with your hands.
2. Flatten the ball into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the whipped feta
3. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the feta and cream cheese together until combined.
4. Add a clove of chopped garlic, two tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of black pepper and about a tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano and basil. You can use a teaspoon of dried herbs instead if you prefer. Process on high speed until fairly smooth.
Cut and season the vegetables
5. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and slice crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
6. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Toss the tomatoes and zucchini with a large pinch of salt, some black pepper, another tablespoon of chopped herbs, and two tablespoons olive oil.
Assemble the tart
7. Roll the pie dough into a large rough circle about 12 inches wide. Fold the dough in half and transfer to the lined baking sheet.
8. Spread the whipped feta in an even layer, to about 1.5 inches from the edge.
9. Pile the tomato zucchini mixture over the whipped cheese, discarding any accumulated juices from the bowl.
Bake the tart
10. Mix an egg yolk with a splash of cold water and brush it onto the top of the crust.
11. Bake in the preheated oven 30 – 40 minutes until golden and vegetables are tender.
Voilà! Gorgeous, right?
Slice and serve warm or at room temperature. Leftovers are great for lunches 🙂
Sound good to you? If you make this zucchini tomato tart with whipped feta, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
Products I used to make this zucchini tomato tart
Products from Amazon.com
Zucchini Tomato Tart
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme and basil (or 1 teaspoon dried herbs)
- 1 zucchini halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups), halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- splash water
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and cut into the flour mixture with fingers or a pastry blender.
- Sprinkle in the cold water and work the dough with hands until you can form it into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse together the feta and cream cheese until well combined.
- Add the chopped garlic, olive oil and fresh or dried herbs. Process on high speed until smooth.
- Toss together the halved cherry tomatoes and sliced zucchini with salt and pepper, the olive oil, and remaining herbs
Assemble the Tart
- Roll the pie dough out into a rough 12-inch circle. Fold the dough in half, transfer to the prepared sheet pan, and unfold. Spead the whipped feta evenly in the center until about 1/5 inches from the edge. Spread the tomato and zucchini mixture on top.
- Fold the edges of the crust over the tart to contain the filling, leaving the center uncovered.
- Mix together the egg yolk and a splash of water and brush over the exposed crust. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until crust is deeply golden and vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.