Sweet, juicy grilled strawberries and salty halloumi are piled on top of mixed greens and drizzled with a tangy balsamic vinaigrette in this beautiful grilled halloumi and strawberry salad.
Served with grilled bread and a glass of crisp white wine, this is quick and simple summer dining at its finest!
Strawberries and cheese might be two things you wouldn't normally think to put on the barbecue. But I've come to understand that there are few things that don't benefit from a little turn on the grill.
Quick disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I may make a small commission, at no cost to you. I will never recommend anything I don't personally use and love!
Grilling strawberries, like other fruits, brings their sweet juiciness to a whole new level.
Halloumi, which is kind of rubbery in its normal state, gets soft and gooey without liquifying completely like most cheeses do. If you're wondering...
What Is Halloumi Cheese?
If you've never had halloumi before, you are in for a real treat. Halloumi is a firm, salty white cheese from Cyprus with a high melting point, so it's perfect for grilling and pan-frying.
It's popular all over the world, and easy to find in most large supermarkets here. It's made from sheep's and goat's milk. More info here, if you're curious!
This grilled halloumi and strawberry salad might look and taste fancy, but it is actually SUPER quick and simple to make.
Skewer some strawberries, slice the cheese and some bread and put everything on the grill for a few minutes.
Whip up an easy tangy balsamic vinaigrette and pile everything on a bed of mixed greens. With a glass of crisp white wine, this is simple summer dining at its finest.
If strawberry season is still going strong where you are, I beg you to try this salad before it's over! For me, strawberry season is just getting started and I plan to get this strawberry salad on the menu as often as I can before that sad day comes.
Oh, and if you have some extra strawberries to use up, these balsamic strawberry shortcakes in a jar would be a great end to this meal!
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would be thrilled if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later!
And if you're looking for more easy dinner inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Or subscribe in the sidebar on the right to get every new recipe in your inbox 🙂
Aaaaaand if you love salad for dinner as much as we do, head over to the salad category for more vegetarian and (and not) salads! Here are a few personal favorites.
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Baby Kale - VEGETARIAN and possibly my favorite salad of all time
Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Dressing - So easy and delicious!
Club Sandwich Salad - juicy chicken, buttery croutons, bacon, tomato, and an amazing creamy dressing.
Steak and Caesar Salad- perfectly cooked hanger steak, buttery croutons, and the best caesar dressing ever.
Grilled Halloumi and Strawberry Salad
- 1 lb strawberries hulled
- 8 oz halloumi cheese sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6 oz mixed greens
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 4 wooden skewers soaked in water for at least 15 minutes
- ½ baguette sliced ½ thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon shallot finely chopped
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a gas grill to medium high (or use a charcoal grill).
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Set aside.
- Thread the strawberries onto the four soaked wooden skewers. Brush the bread slices on both sides with a little olive oil.
- Place the strawberries, bread slices, and halloumi slices onto the grill. Grill the strawberries, uncovered, turning occasionally for about 6 minutes, until grill marks appear. Grill the bread about 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. Grill the halloumi slices, turning once, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove everything to a plate.
- Remove the strawberries from the skewers. Divide the mixed greens and mint between four plates. Top with strawberries, halloumi slices, and bread. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette, and serve.
Oh wow! You have all of my favorite things in this salad. I just love the pairing of halloumi and strawberry.
This salad makes me happy! I'm excited to try holloumi cheese - it sounds delicious!
Thanks Jillian! It makes me happy too 🙂
Allison - Celebrating Sweets
The perfect summer salad! I love halloumi!
Oh my word, strawberries, halloumi, mint, balsamic vinegar, this recipe is just dream. Can't wait to try it:-)
I love the grilled cheese slices in this. What a hearty but delicious salad..perfect too since strawberries are still in season!
Thanks Catherine! Yes, we're lucky to still have some strawberries way up here in Canada!