This Buffalo chicken salad features crisp greens topped with tender chicken breast pieces tossed in buffalo sauce, and drizzled with blue cheese or ranch.
I looooooove chicken wings.
Back when my metabolism could handle it (a long time ago!), I used to spend way too much time in those chicken wing places that you usually find in strip malls. You know, the kind that feature all manner of sports on a big screen TV and not much else? Except the wings, of course.
There were always a dozen or so varieties of wings, but for me, it was all about the classic buffalo sauce. Not the crazy blazing hot stuff, but the tamer “medium” version. With blue cheese dressing for dipping of course, and the requisite carrot and celery sticks on the side (healthy!)
After I moved back to Canada from Houston, those places were mercifully no longer accessible to me, but that doesn’t mean I stopped craving them! So I have found a couple of ways to get the flavor without actually deep-frying chicken wings. One of the more virtuous solutions is this Buffalo chicken salad. Crisp greens are mixed with shredded carrots and celery, topped with tender chicken breast pieces tossed in buffalo sauce, and drizzled with blue cheese or ranch.
There are a few recipes out there for Buffalo chicken salad. Most of them either use the stuff called “Buffalo wing sauce”, or cayenne pepper sauce mixed with melted butter. I personally just go with straight-up cayenne pepper sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot) for maximum punch! Blue cheese or ranch will cool things down, and it’s a super easy meal to throw together on a week night.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 2 hearts of romaine, washed and chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot)
- 1-2 tablespoons melted butter (optional) mix with hot sauce if you want to tame the heat
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
- Pound the chicken breasts to about 3/4 " thick and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook about 4-5 minutes on each side, until fully cooked. Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest while you prepare the salad.
- Toss the chopped romaine with carrots and celery.
- Slice the chicken breast into 1/4" thick pieces and toss with hot sauce until well coated.
- Plate the salad and place chicken pieces on top. Drizzle with ranch or blue cheese dressing, and additional hot sauce if desired.