These cherry muffins with coconut streusel are one of my very favorite muffins. With a sturdy vanilla-flavored crumb, bright juicy bursts of cherry, and a sweet coconut topping, they’re a perfect brunch treat or breakfast on the go.
I first made these cherry muffins with coconut streusel 6 years ago for a brunch-themed baby shower. For some reason it took me this long to get around to making them again, but they’ve been lurking in the back of my mind ALL this time.
Basically they were as memorable as a muffin can get and were just as good as I remembered this time around.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
If you’re fortunate enough to have access to fresh sour cherries (I mean, for the 2 weeks per year that they’re in season!), this would be a great recipe to take advantage of them. And if not, then canned, jarred, or frozen are great too.
Jarred morello cherries are available from Trader Joe’s for instance. I used jarred Montmorency cherries with great results. That said, I see no reason you couldn’t use sweet cherries instead if you like.
In case you’re wondering:
What are Sour Cherries?
Sour cherries, of which Morello and Montmorency cherries are two varieties, are a tart and thin-skinned variety of cherry that are best used for baking rather than snacking on raw.
They are not nearly as sweet as bing or rainier cherries, but there is absolutely nothing better for a cherry pie that really has that classic cherry pie flavor. Here’s a bit more info if you’re interested!
How to Make Cherry Muffins with Coconut Streusel
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs and yogurt
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. The batter will be very thick, almost more of a dough.
5. Drain the cherries, if using canned or jarred. If frozen, they should be thawed and drained.
6. Evenly distribute about 1/3 of the batter into the muffin cups, and then distribute 1/2 the cherries between the cups.
7. Cover the cherries with more batter and top with the remaining cherries. Finally, top with the remaining batter.
8. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly and stir in the coconut.
9. Top the muffins with streusel. It will seem like a lot of streusel, but trust me it’s perfect!
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
11. Let muffins cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes and unmold.
Serve warm or at room temperature!
Sound good to you? If you make these cherry muffins with coconut streusel, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
More Cherry Recipes!
And More Muffin Recipes!
Products I Used to Make these Cherry Muffins with Coconut Streusel
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $13.89
Cherry Muffins with Coconut Streusel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 16 oz jarred, canned, or frozen (thawed) sour cherries (about 2 cups of drained cherries)
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter cold
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Butter a standard 12 cup muffin tin, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs and yogurt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Distribute 1/3 of the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups. Distribute half the cherries between the muffin cups and cover with another 1/3 of the batter. Distribute the rest of the cherries over the batter, and cover with the remaining batter.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until coarse crumbles form. Stir in the coconut. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the muffins spring back when pressed or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes and unmold.