Sun dried tomato pesto takes just a few minutes to make with 7 ingredients, and can transform the simplest of meals into a gourmet dish! There are so many ways to use this flavorful condiment, which freezes wonderfully so you can always have some on hand.
I love regular basil pesto, but unfortunately the same cannot be said for everyone in my household. Sun-dried tomato pesto is a different story though. Every time I put this stuff in or on something I get rave reviews! It's like magic.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Since I'm expecting a second baby boy in a few months, I'm starting to think about things I can prepare in advance and freeze to simplify meals in those hectic early months. A big batch of sun-dried tomato pesto is number 1 on my list.
Some uses for sun dried tomato pesto
Later this week, I'll show you how I make the easiest, most amazing one pan roast chicken and potatoes with this pesto, but in the meantime, here are a whole bunch of other ideas for how you can use it.
- Toss it with hot pasta. We Love this plain, but try tossing with roasted vegetables, cooked shrimp, sausage, or bocconcini
- or toss with pasta and serve cold as a pasta salad
- Put it in a grilled cheese sandwich with mozzarella or provolone
- Use it instead of pizza sauce
- Combine it with sour cream or yogurt and cream cheese for a flavorful dip
- Add some to a basic oil and vinegar dressing
- Use it as a sandwich or burger spread
- Serve it on the side with any grilled meat
I'm only scratching the surface here! If you have other ideas, let me know in the comments :). Here's how I make it.
How to make sun dried tomato pesto
- Gather your ingredients: fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, blanched almonds (or pine nuts, or another nut), grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
2. Process all ingredients together in a food processor, scraping down as needed.
Voilà! Ridiculously simple for this incredible flavor and versalilty!
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
And if you're looking for even more easy dinner inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Or subscribe in the sidebar on the right to get every new recipe in your inbox 🙂
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds or pine nuts or walnuts
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and process on high speed until finely chopped and blended, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired. For a little spice, add a couple shakes of crushed red pepper.
Leave a Reply