Sun dried tomato pesto takes just a few minutes to make with 7 ingredients, and can transform the simplest of meals into a gourmet dish! There are so many ways to use this flavorful condiment, which freezes wonderfully so you can always have some on hand.
I love regular basil pesto, but unfortunately the same cannot be said for everyone in my household. Sun-dried tomato pesto is a different story though. Every time I put this stuff in or on something I get rave reviews! It's like magic.
*This post probably contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Since I'm expecting a second baby boy in a few months, I'm starting to think about things I can prepare in advance and freeze to simplify meals in those hectic early months. A big batch of sun-dried tomato pesto is number 1 on my list.
Some uses for sun dried tomato pesto
Later this week, I'll show you how I make the easiest, most amazing one pan roast chicken and potatoes with this pesto, but in the meantime, here are a whole bunch of other ideas for how you can use it.
- Toss it with hot pasta. We Love this plain, but try tossing with roasted vegetables, cooked shrimp, sausage, or bocconcini
- or toss with pasta and serve cold as a pasta salad
- Put it in a grilled cheese sandwich with mozzarella or provolone
- Use it instead of pizza sauce
- Combine it with sour cream or yogurt and cream cheese for a flavorful dip
- Add some to a basic oil and vinegar dressing
- Use it as a sandwich or burger spread
- Serve it on the side with any grilled meat
I'm only scratching the surface here! If you have other ideas, let me know in the comments :). Here's how I make it.
How to make sun dried tomato pesto
- Gather your ingredients: fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, blanched almonds (or pine nuts, or another nut), grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
2. Process all ingredients together in a food processor, scraping down as needed.
Voilà! Ridiculously simple for this incredible flavor and versalilty!
Sound good to you? If you make this recipe, I would be thrilled and honored if you would take a pic and tag me on Instagram @ourhappymess!
Or pin for later! ↓↓↓
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds or pine nuts or walnuts
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and process on high speed until finely chopped and blended, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired. For a little spice, add a couple shakes of crushed red pepper.