Mediterranean Black Bean Burgers
These easy Mediterranean black bean burgers are topped with whipped feta, roasted onions and peppers, and basil for a super satisfying vegetarian meal that everyone will love!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 red onion sliced crosswise into rounds
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 burger buns
Additional toppings: fresh basil leaves, tomato slices
Preheat the oven to to 425. On a large baking sheet, toss together the onions and peppers with the olive oil, salt and pepper (reserve a little of each for the patties). Transfer to the preheated oven and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
When the vegetables come out of the oven, lower the heat to 350. Spread the black beans evenly onto a large baking sheet lined with a baking mat or aluminum foil. Transfer to the oven for about 15 minutes until the beans look gray and dry, with the skins slightly crispy.
Transfer the beans to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork. Keep some texture. In a large bowl, combine the beans, eggs, bread crumbs, feta, finely chopped red pepper and onion, parsley, olive oil, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 6 patties.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers, 3 at a time, about 4-5 minutes per side., pressing down with the spatula occasionally. * see notes for other cooking methods
Transfer cooked patties to a plate and lightly grill the burger buns.
All components (patties, roasted vegetables, and whipped feta) can be made a day ahead and stored, covered in the refrigerator, until ready to cook.
Patties can also be frozen, individually wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 3 months.
- To cook on an outdoor grill: Heat a well-oiled grill to medium-high. Cook for about 5 minutes per side.
- To cook in the oven: Preheat the oven to 375 F. Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat, or greased foil. Cook about 20 minutes total, flipping once halfway through.
Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 1462mg | Potassium: 683mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1237IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 347mg | Iron: 6mg