Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
These stove top brown sugar glazed carrots are tender, buttery, perfectly sweet, and flavored with orange and a hint of fresh thyme. An essential part of any holiday table, they're quick and easy to make, and won't take up valuable oven space.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1 lb baby-cut carrots or regular carrots, cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots, broth, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Uncover the pot and continue to cook the carrots, stirring frequently, until the glaze has reduced to 2 or 3 tablespoons, about 5 minutes.
Add the butter and remaining brown sugar to the pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so, stirring frequently, until the carrots are fully tender.
Stir in the orange juice and more salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- You can add up to 1 teaspoon of orange zest along with the orange juice if you'd like to bump up the orange flavor.
- Be sure to stir the carrots frequently to ensure they cook evenly. Those on the bottom will naturally cook more quickly.
- You can substitute maple syrup, honey, or regular white sugar for the brown sugar if you prefer.
- Make ahead: Glazed carrots can be made up to 3 days ahead. Follow the recipe to the end, leaving the carrots just slightly crispy. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, place the carrots and any accumulated glaze in a medium saucepan, cover, and reheat over medium heat (about 5 minutes).
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 790mg | Potassium: 281mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 15788IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg