Thai Red Curry
Thai red curry is easy to make, and even easier to love! Chicken and veggies are quickly sauteed and then cooked in a creamy coconut milk and red curry sauce. Served over rice, it's filling, comforting and delicious.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, sliced into strips (see note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves (optional)*
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- coconut lime rice for serving (see note)
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.
In the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until softened. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the bell peppers and zucchini, and continue cooking until softened, about 4-5 minutes longer.
Stir in the red curry paste and lime leaves, and stir-fry for another minute. Add the coconut milk, sugar fish sauce and lime juice and stir until well combined, Add in the chicken and simmer for 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Serve over plain or coconut lime rice (see note), and sprinkle with cilantro.
*Kaffir lime leaves can be hard to find outside of Asian markets, but there is no good substitute, so if you can't find them, just skip them!
*Nutrition information does NOT include rice.
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1043mg | Potassium: 522mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2305IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg