Crispy rice treats feature the best effort-to-reward ratio ever. But these crispy rice treats are elevated to a whole new level with this amazing thing called brown butter. The extra five minutes of cooking time, spent watching butter fulfill its potential, will be completely worth it, I promise.
Welcome to Our Happy Mess! I'm Ann, avid home cook and baker, wife to a great guy, and mom to a wonderful 17 month old boy named Jack. Life around here is 9-5 jobs for my husband and I, followed by the frantic rush of daycare pick-up, feeding, bath time and bedtime. Usually followed by dinner on the couch combined with glassy-eyed Netflix-watching, counting the minutes till we can crash and do it all over again.
Sound depressing? It's not! Our days are full of joyful moments and laughter, no matter how hard it gets sometimes. And it does get hard. As much as anyone else, I couldn't wait for the roller coaster that was 2016 to end. As much as anyone else, I started 2017 with a grim determination to make it the year of new beginnings, more love, more understanding, more connections. I wanted to step out of my bubble, share what I'm learning, and learn from others too. That might be what life is all about in the end.
So I created this space where I hope to do all of that, while sharing some of my favorite recipes, because, really, nothing brings people together like food, right? I hope you'll stop in and say "hi" now and then, tell me what you're cooking, and whatever else is on your mind.
With all that said, let's move on and talk about the easiest, most nostalgic dessert in the world, made eeeeeeeven better. Crispy rice treats feature the best effort-to-reward ratio ever. But these crispy rice treats are elevated to a whole new level with this amazing thing called brown butter. The extra five minutes of cooking time, spent watching butter fulfill its potential, will be completely worth it, I promise.
Oh, and here's another fun thing you can do with these if you're feeling fancy! I made these for a wedding last summer.
Do you have any special hopes for 2017?
Brown Butter Crispy Treats
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 20 ounces marshmallows (2 10-oz or 283 gram bags)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 cups crispy rice cereal
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray, or butter it.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. I like to use a light-colored pot since it is easier to see the butter browning without burning it. Once melted, the butter will begin to foam. As the foam subsides, solids will begin to develop on the bottom of the pan and the butter will start to smell deliciously nutty.
- As soon as the butter is browned, turn the heat down to low and add the marshmallows. Stir continuously until the marshmallows are fully melted.
- Fold in the cereal with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and pat into an even layer.
- Let cool to room temperature - 30 minutes or so - and cut into squares. These treats freeze perfectly.